What is Cyber Essentials?
Cyber Essentials is a UK Government’s scheme to help businesses protect themselves against cyber attacks and hackers. The scheme gives your organisation a framework of five standard yet essential security controls: Firewalls, Secure Configuration, User Access Control, Malware Protection and Patch Management. Whether your business has the appropriate internal expertise or not, you can use the cyber essentials scheme to help mitigate against ever-present security risks.
What does Cyber Essentials cover?
The Cyber Essentials scheme reviews your systems and zones in on five key control areas:
Network and firewall security
– Ensuring you have basic levels of network security and are safely connected to the outside world.
– Ensuring that you’re implementing the correct security measures across all devices, both infrastructure and end-user.
Controlling and limited user account access
– Protecting both your end-users and data from internal/external threats.
– Malware attacks are one of the most significant risks facing businesses today. As such, Cyber Essentials reviews all your devices to ensure they are sufficiently protecting your data and privacy.
– Ensuring all connected devices receive the latest software and security patches.
Cyber Essential Certification
There are two levels of Cyber Essential certifications available for businesses:
Cyber Essentials is the entry-level framework that provides organisations (regardless of size or sector) with a risk assessment and improvement recommendations. The resulting report will help increase awareness and prompt a behaviour change.
Cyber Essentials Plus
Cyber Essentials Plus builds on the basic framework to give you a deeper understanding of vulnerabilities. It does this by scanning all in-scope environments, such as user devices, internal gateways, and servers. However, you must complete the Cyber Essentials assessment first.
Why choose BCN Group?
Protecting your business involves much more than simply equipping all devices with the latest cybersecurity measures. Indeed, it’s about proactively safeguarding your infrastructure and having the processes to react quickly.
At BCN, we’re determined to help protect all businesses by providing practical advice, guidance and the right tools. As an approved Cyber Essentials assessor, we will take you through every step of your approval journey to ensure everything is in place.
What’s more, we can also help defend your business against the final 20% of attack types to ensure your business is 100% secured by best industry practices.
Find out how BCN Group can support your business
Get in touch with the BCN Group security team today to begin the process of becoming Cyber Essentials accredited and ensure your business is protected against cyber attacks.